Friday, December 18, 2009

Exercise even when not outdoors!


Now that I am not in my friendly NoCal climate, I am definitely feeling the chill when stepping outside for my normal exercise routine. Frigid temperatures in the near-noughts do not invite me to take a brisk walk nor do anything else, really, that involves the Great Outdoors.


However, this does not mean that I abandon my routine and hibernate in the bedclothes until I return to beautiful, sunny San Jose!


What I recommend for my clients and for myself every day is to get in that exercise no matter the weather. Here is how I do it:

1. Walk in place for five minutes. Arms up and pumping, legs up as far as possible, this can be done while listening to music or watching tv.

2. Yoga. Great asanas/postures to do while indoors include frog poses, bridge pose, cobra pose...

3. Arm presses. Grab that gallon of milk and do reps at least ten in a row.

4. Belly dancing, and dancing in general. Put on the music full blast and you let yourself go for ten, fifteen minutes!

5. Play games. Ring around the mulberry bush, London Bridge, Duck, Duck, Goose, The wheels on the bus...there are hundreds of children's games that are interactive and will get the heart rate rising as well as make you laugh!


The best part of these exercises is that they can be done either alone or with the family so that everyone keeps moving and healthy!


These are a few of the tips that I have. The important thing is to mix and match, do what feels good, get moving and grooving!

This message was brought to you by Doula Angelita, trident doula/parenting coach/nutrition guide/women's issue advocate!--

No comments:

Post a Comment