Quote of the Week: Who dat? Who dat? Who dat sey dey gonna beat dem Saints?
Rumination: Confidence is a good thing. Knowing who you are, your place in the world, what you want to do, who you would like to be with...these are things that are desirable to the human spirit. Confidence is what we need to feel when doing what needs to be done in the way that it needs to be done. Confidence is walking down the path even when others howl disapproval or try to dissuade us. Confidence is what we have when we reach inside ourselves and walk tall and proud when others deride our steps. The Saints were not always on top. The Saints will not always be on top; all dynasties are short-lived. The Saints of 2009 put their feet onto a pathway with confidence and did not waver from it. The Saints did not lead the game for the first half of the Super Bowl-but they kept their confidence, kept moving forward and stepped into glory.
Mantra: I am glory-bound, glory-bound am I
Recipe: Louisiana Sunburst Salad
Ingredients: 24 oz. mesclun mix
2 oz dried cranberries
2 oz sliced and toasted almonds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 oz vegetable oil
salt and black pepper to taste
2 oz blue cheese
2 oz ruby port wine
2 oz raspberry vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 oz water
5 dashes Tabasco
1. Soak cranberries overnight in the port wine.
2. In a large mixing bowl: oil, sugar,water, vinegar, Tabasco, and cinnamon
3. Whisk all the above until ingredients emulsify.
4. Add mesclun and toss.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve: Place mesclun on plate and add almonds, cranberries and cheese. Drizzle with olive oil. Serve.
Exercise: Cat pose, bidalasana, is great to relieve the repetitive body stress of constantly sitting or standing. It is good to shift the body position as well as to get breathing and heart rate regulated.
1. Place yourself on the floor/yoga mat on all fours.2. Palms are flat to the floor. Feet are extended back.3. With your face towards the palms, slowly bend the neck and round the back. Inhale.4. Return to starting position. Exhale.5. If that is too much, then simply inhaling and exhaling slowly within this position for a count of ten will be beneficial.
Salutations: Today is a new day. Today is a new week. Begin on a high note, and keep confidently moving forward to achieve your dreams.
Bis vivit qui bene vivit,
San Jose's Community Doula